Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Got Passed by a What?

Ahead of me was a curve. Fortunately for me, it was still some distance ahead of me, because I watched a bright yellow sports car streak around the curve, crossing the yellow line to occupy the space where I would be in a few minutes. This did not comfort me. I was even less comforted when I watched a pickup truck do the same thing on another curve. This sort of thing gives me that little prickly feeling in the small of my back.

I also watched a man drive a port-a-potty around. It was a school bus, one of the short ones, with most of the sides removed to turn it into a mutant flat bed vehicle, and, strapped to the back, was port-a-potty and something mysterious under a tarp. (Given that they had no problem showing everyone the port-a-potty, I was curious to know what was under the tarp.) I was headed on way and the port-a-potty was headed the other, just two ships that pass in the night, or so I thought, but, about fifteen miles later, we passed again. (I’ll grant you, I can’t guarantee that it was the same vehicle with the same port-a-potty, but I’m willing to bet that it was.) I don’t know where the port-a-potty was going, but I do hope that no one was waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

Later on, while in the belly of the 2000 pound beast, I was passed by the port-a-potty man again. I was struck with the idea that he was driving his port-a-potty all around the county. I imagined crews of construction workers getting excited because, at last, the port-a-potty man had arrived. Perhaps he should have had music like the ice cream man does. Well, maybe not.

I dressed in layers this morning because it was fifty degrees out when I hit the road. Thanks to the majesty of the wind, it wasn’t long before I was working up a sweat. Off came the vest. Down went the arm warmers. The lovely cap with the ear flaps was replaced with a lighter weight cap. (By the time I got to that point, I didn’t have anything else I could safely take off, so I left it at that. You’re welcome.)

I had another good ride, and I’m hoping to hit the road bright and early tomorrow morning for another one.

This is the way to spend your time off.

See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment