Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An Apology to the Wind

It is possible that something in my last post may have been construed as complaining about the wind. What I wrote was, "The wind sucks." Now, I can see how, taken out of context, this might sound like an insult, so let's put that quote in context. The entire quote was:
Lactic acid burning
Muscles push the pedals hard
Today the wind sucks
Hm. Even taken in context, that sounds like an insult, doesn't it? Well, then I was clearly misquoted. (Yes, I know that I was the one quoting myself, but that's just being picky.)

So why all this concern on my part? Have you ever heard a parent say, "If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry about?" Well, the wind decided to accompany me for my entire ride today, and it was made abundantly clear to me that it was not actually windy on my last ride. Yes, there may have been a slight breeze blowing, a gentle zephyr barely disturbing the air, if you will. I know this because today is was windy.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I would like to make that abundantly clear, just in case the wind has an internet connection and decides to check out the blog.

The other interesting occurrence today was that I saw the following message painted on the road:

Will
U
Be
Mine
Again
?

Well, this was obviously quite flattering. Do I have a secret admirer? Mind you, the "again" would make one think that I should know who wrote the message.

Then I began to consider it a bit more. Will "U" be mine...this sounds like sheer laziness. Am I not worth the extra effort of actually spelling out the word "you"? Or did the individual in question not know who to spell the word "you"? Either way, this did not seem promising.

Then it occurred to me that, since there was no name attached to either end of this message, just possible it wasn't intended for me. Well, that could be confusing. Again, was this just laziness? Or does the writer have such a colossal ego as to think that the person for whom the message was intended would automatically know it?

Perhaps this person has done a lot of good, though. Who knows how many people saw this message, thought it was for them and made up with someone they had become estranged from. Perhaps this message writer had done this on purpose with the intention of reuniting couples who had quarreled over some silly thing or other. Why, this was noble of the message writer, don't you think?

See what you see when you get up early and go for a ride?

Although I have to confess that my legs are a bit tired this morning.

Not because of the wind, though. I'd like to make that perfectly clear. The wind is my friend, and I am definitely not complaining about it.

See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment